Thursday, April 15, 2010

Which overused graphical effect do you hate the most?

Im not talking about games that use it, Im talking about games that use it excessively. Prince of Persia's Light Blooming almost blinded me, and Halo 3's bump mapping make everyone looked like they were made of clay.

But i would have to say light blooming, it comes up at the most ridiculous times, and they make it t oo obvious. At least Bump M apping makes g ames look better..

Light Bloom
Slow-Mo
Bump Mapping
Motion Blur

Which overused graphical effect do you hate the most?
Bloom. The only games I've come across that it ''works'' in is Shadow of the Colossus, ICO and Half Life 2 (and the official Source mods). In those games it is used either artistically really nicely or realistically enough to just make the lighting seem more realistic without blinding you.

The graphical effect I love the most is Anisotropic Filtering. I hate ''running blur'' on textures.
Which overused graphical effect do you hate the most?
Motion Blur and Bloom, in Oblivion, outside in the sun, looking at the ground, I couldnt even tell what I was looking at, it looked like a lump of glowing light, turned out to be a rock. Down with over used bloom.
I would definately have to say Bloom. It gets old after awhile.
I think this sums it up very well:
Definately bloom!!!!I love slow-mo/bullet time !!!!!!
You want a game with awful bloom? Two Worlds. If you went up into the snowy areas, it is extremely easy to get lost because there is nothing but white light coming out of your screen, and the small UI. I spent an hour wandering around trying to find a way out.
i hate bloom with a passion. its not cool. its disgusting. they need to stop using it. IMO one of the only games that have been able to use it effectively is GTA Vice City. like when you look into the sun in the game, it actually hurts your eyes because it's bright. that's realistic. one game that sucks at using it is heavenly sword. SINCE WHEN DOES WOOD SHINE WHEN IT'S DRY?
Bloom, it's like the lens-flare of modern games...however it's great for transition effects like in Half Life where you emerge from a dark area into a bright area and the camera adjusts to the light.
[QUOTE=''selbie'']Bloom, it's like the lens-flare of modern games...however it's great for transition effects like in Half Life where you emerge from a dark area into a bright area and the camera adjusts to the light.[/QUOTE]

Like in real life... :o

I love how Valve is using HDR. So subtle compared to other developers who use it like they do a programming language.
Ugh... bloom really does suck, and so does overly shiney texturing. Although it's not really a graphics effect, I do get bothered by crappy ragdoll physics. I want to believe the enemy I just sent over the rooftop is a dead guy, not a crash test dummy.
[QUOTE=''foxhound_fox''][QUOTE=''selbie'']Bloom, it's like the lens-flare of modern games...however it's great for transition effects like in Half Life where you emerge from a dark area into a bright area and the camera adjusts to the light.[/QUOTE]

Like in real life... :o

I love how Valve is using HDR. So subtle compared to other developers who use it like they do a programming language.[/QUOTE]

I really don't like Valve's HDR. They use a hack to get around GPU limitations and the results reflect that. It never seems to get the exposure right, even for simple scenes.

[QUOTE=''SDog624'']SINCE WHEN DOES WOOD SHINE WHEN IT'S DRY?[/QUOTE]

When there's a lot of light shining on it, and the image is over-exposed? It happens in real-life, I promise. I can post a picture if you want.

Besides, are you really going to criticize a game about magical sword for not strictly adhering to reality? The designers certainly have the artistic license to make the lighting look as ''heavenly'' as the see fit. Honestly I thought their HDR and overall visual styyle is fantastic, and it all suits the source material pretty well.

[QUOTE=''Teufelhuhn''][QUOTE=''SDog624'']SINCE WHEN DOES WOOD SHINE WHEN IT'S DRY?[/QUOTE]

When there's a lot of light shining on it, and the image is over-exposed? It happens in real-life, I promise. I can post a picture if you want.

Besides, are you really going to criticize a game about magical sword for not strictly adhering to reality? The designers certainly have the artistic license to make the lighting look as ''heavenly'' as the see fit. Honestly I thought their HDR and overall visual styyle is fantastic, and it all suits the source material pretty well.
[/QUOTE]Ico overused graphical effect we couldn't see their faces! I even used my sun glasses when I was playing it! 8)
Why so much hate on the bloom? Samus looks sexier brightened up a little in Metroid Prime 3 and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. :DKidding aside, I think it's how bloom is used. Sometimes devs just stick in there with no artistic direction in mind thinking it looks good. For example, games like Tron 2.0 shines from lighting effects and so does Ueda games. But others, like Medal of Honor for the Wii for example, has too much, IMO. I know it looks less granier than Call of Duty 3, but I think the blooming takes away the artistic sty-le of WWII settings, which is the gritty, realistic depiction of war. I think Medal of Honor will still be a good game, but the bloom doesn't work for me.Anyway, that's what I think about it.
[QUOTE=''gamingqueen''] [QUOTE=''Teufelhuhn''][QUOTE=''SDog624'']SINCE WHEN DOES WOOD SHINE WHEN IT'S DRY?[/QUOTE]

When there's a lot of light shining on it, and the image is over-exposed? It happens in real-life, I promise. I can post a picture if you want.

Besides, are you really going to criticize a game about magical sword for not strictly adhering to reality? The designers certainly have the artistic license to make the lighting look as ''heavenly'' as the see fit. Honestly I thought their HDR and overall visual styyle is fantastic, and it all suits the source material pretty well.
[/QUOTE]Ico overused graphical effect we couldn't see their faces! I even used my sun glasses when I was playing it! 8)[/QUOTE]I thought Ico had amazing art direction and did lighting effects amazingly well, like a painting come to life.Afterall, cinematagraphy is referred to as ''Painting with Light'' in many ways, like the famous book title suggest.
I really hate bloom, and the cartoon that was posted a few up from this one about bloom is rather funny. If the devs used it as an artistic ground to branch something off of, then it may turn out quite alright, kinda like in Half-Life that was aforementioned. But, usually it's just a waste of time with the bloom and overly used and turns out to look like crap.Don't give the devs toys when they don't know what to do with them, they will just overuse them and in the wrong ways. Will someone please give them a guide to game making manual, they can sometimes use it.
I hate the focus blur on some games. Especially when it is done HORRIBLY.Example: Blitz: the League for the 360.
Blurry decals on otherwise pristine textures. I find it jarring.
Aside from bloom I really hate this one which I don't what is called but makes everything look too reflexive. This is overused in Need For Speed games, and also im some floors in God of War.

No comments:

Post a Comment