Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Anybody else think/hope that Bioware makes KOTOR 3 after Mass Effect?

I do, I enjoyed the darker nature of KOTOR 2, but the ending bugged me. Anyway I hope they make KOTOR 3 soonthoughts?Anybody else think/hope that Bioware makes KOTOR 3 after Mass Effect?
[QUOTE=''--Sinister--'']I do, I enjoyed the darker nature of KOTOR 2, but the ending bugged me. Anyway I hope they make KOTOR 3 soonthoughts?[/QUOTE]the original is my favorite game of all time. kotor wasnt bad, i liked it. then ending bugged me too. i would love to see it go back to bioware, but i know thats not going to happen. obsidian can do a good job on the 3rd i believe. they were rushed with 2 for some reason and cut out a lot of stuff, a lot of important stuff. so hopefully they spend more time on 3.Anybody else think/hope that Bioware makes KOTOR 3 after Mass Effect?
I'd prefer Obsidian to do KotOR III. I liked what they did with KotOR II... too bad LucasArts wouldn't let them finish... :?
Whether or not Bioshockmakes KOTOR 3 (which I doubt for obvious reasons), I sincerely hope Obsidian stays away -- as far away as possible -- from the project. KOTOR 3 started so promisingly, but it became progressively worse. After the amount of fun I had with KOTOR, its sequelwas one of the biggest let-downs of my gaming life.It isn't just that they didn't get a chance to finish it (though that is obviously true). It just didn't have the same flair of the original. It left me wanting.
After Mass Effect, I'm pretty sure Bioware is going to be working on Dragon Age. But here's to hoping a KOTOR 3 does eventually come out.
I wish Mass Effect was KOTOR 3, so many of the worlds they created and art sketches they had for the game look straight out of Star Wars. The SW universe is so rich, they could basically make a game like Mass Effect and fit it into the SW universe.
I wished this was the case, but I have a feeling that LucasArts is going do this project after they finish with SW: The Force unleash. I have no sources on this... it just a feeling. I'll be happy if they ever decide to make this game.
I think Obsidian might handle the chores. But I don't even think there will ever be a KOTOR III, will there?
[QUOTE=''dvader654'']I wish Mass Effect was KOTOR 3, so many of the worlds they created and art sketches they had for the game look straight out of Star Wars. The SW universe is so rich, they could basically make a game like Mass Effect and fit it into the SW universe. [/QUOTE]Maybe Mass Effect started out being a next-gen KOTOR on the drawing board but then was changed for some reason we don't know.
[QUOTE=''m0zart'']Whether or not Bioshockmakes KOTOR 3 (which I doubt for obvious reasons), I sincerely hope Obsidian stays away -- as far away as possible -- from the project. KOTOR 3 started so promisingly, but it became progressively worse. After the amount of fun I had with KOTOR, its sequelwas one of the biggest let-downs of my gaming life.It isn't just that they didn't get a chance to finish it (though that is obviously true). It just didn't have the same flair of the original. It left me wanting.[/QUOTE]See, that's exactely why I'd want Obsidian to do Kotor 3, because kotor 2 showed so much potential but was ruined only by the rushed later portions, which wasn't Obsidian's fault. Just immagine what they could pull off if given the time and funding to really let their minds work. These are most of the same developers who put together Planescape: Torment don't forget! The sky is the limit!
Mass Effect basically is KOTOR III, just without the Star Wars license. I very much doubt BioWare will do KOTOR III, they seem to be done with licensed material and are enjoying a lot of success with their own original IP's. BioWare has also flat-out stated that they're not working on KOTOR III and have no intention of doing so. Don't forget that Mass Effect is supposed to be a trilogy, and BioWare is also working on Dragon Age and an un-named ''next-gen'' project (most likely Jade Empire 2). If LucasArts gives them enough time and freedom, Obsidian could do a really stellar job as well.
I'd actually prefer Obsidian do KOTOR III.....especially since they are progressively coming into their own as a developer.Don't get me wrong, I still think BioWare is an excellent developer, but to me it seems like Obsidian is steadily improving as a pure RPG developer like the kind we used to see during the golden age of Western Single Player RPGs....meanwhile, BioWare's more recent games seem to becoming more action-y instead of the pure RPG experience they used to deliver.From what I've read of Obsidian's NWN2: MotB in early reviews and forum posts, if that is anything to go by, it shows that when given enough time Obsidian is able to craft an excellent follow-up story.....in fact, I keep reading that MotB is the closest thing to a Planescape Torment-like experience since Planescape Torment itself....and that's the kind of depth I want in KOTOR III. Like someone else said, KOTOR II has a LOT of potential....in fact, I would actually say the first 3/4 of the game and it's story is actually a deeper experience then the first KOTOR. What greatly hurt KOTOR II was the horribly rushed/incomplete ending and incomplete quests due to the horrible schedule that was forced on by Lucasarts....to put things in perspective Obsidian only had 12 months to develop KOTOR II, meanwhile BioWare had 3x the amout of time with three years to create KOTOR. In fact, Obsidian originally had 15 months contracted, Lucasarts actually cut the already short schedule even shorter to 12 months in order to rush KOTOR II out for Xbox for Christmas sales. Obsidian actually said if they had been allowed just that extra two or three months, it would have actually had a complete ending and in addition they would have properly been able to fully remove any remnants of content that couldn't make it in, thus eliminating the problem incomplete quests.

.....I could only imagine what Obisidian would have been able to create if they had been given the same amount of development time BioWare had, and I'm hoping that a KOTOR III will answer that question in a very positive way.
well just so long as its done the right way i dont care who makes it. KOTOR was the first real RPG I got into and enjoyed, mainly cause I used (and still am somewhat) to be a star wars nerd.
[QUOTE=''the_mad_madman''] See, that's exactely why I'd want Obsidian to do Kotor 3, because kotor 2 showed so much potential but was ruined only by the rushed later portions, which wasn't Obsidian's fault. Just immagine what they could pull off if given the time and funding to really let their minds work. These are most of the same developers who put together Planescape: Torment don't forget! The sky is the limit! [/QUOTE]I need more than potential to justify spending $60 (which will be the usual next-gen price). Sorry, but you know... fool me once ...I am not interested in Obsidian getting a chance to prove itself as a developer of solid console RPGs. I am interested in playing a great game.
The majority of KOTOR2 was equal to KOTOR. I agree that the latter portions of the game were rushed and sloppy, but the story was better, the characters were more interesting, and I wouldn't have a problem with either company making the third game. I just want to see where the story goes from here.
[QUOTE=''UpInFlames''] Mass Effect basically is KOTOR III, just without the Star Wars license. I very much doubt BioWare will do KOTOR III, they seem to be done with licensed material and are enjoying a lot of success with their own original IP's. BioWare has also flat-out stated that they're not working on KOTOR III and have no intention of doing so. Don't forget that Mass Effect is supposed to be a trilogy, and BioWare is also working on Dragon Age and an un-named ''next-gen'' project (most likely Jade Empire 2). If LucasArts gives them enough time and freedom, Obsidian could do a really stellar job as well.[/QUOTE]I hope your guess about JE2 is incorrect. The combat system of the first game was weak and most of the styles couldn't be separated with a knife. Couple that with a plot that wasn't particularly interesting and I don't see a game that shouts out for sequel.That being said, I don't see why anyone would want KOTOR 3 despite the fact KOTOR1 was incredible. I skipped KOTOR 2, but KOTOR 1 didn't boast a cliffhanger ending. Last but not least, Mass Effect seems to indicate that Bioware is plenty capable of coming up with compelling worlds and gameplaywithout the crutch/drag of a license.
Bioware didn't make KOTOR 2, so I don't think they will make KOTOR 3.
[QUOTE=''CarnageHeart'']Last but not least, Mass Effect seems to indicate that Bioware is plenty capable of coming up with compelling worlds and gameplaywithout the crutch/drag of a license.[/QUOTE]They definetly are, but that doesn't change the fact I would love to play in the SW universe more than in the Bioware invented universe. In the end all that matters is how much fun the game is and I am sure Mass Effect will be a masterpiece.
[QUOTE=''CarnageHeart'']I hope your guess about JE2 is incorrect. The combat system of the first game was weak and most of the styles couldn't be separated with a knife. Couple that with a plot that wasn't particularly interesting and I don't see a game that shouts out for sequel.[/QUOTE]BioWare has talked a lot about Jade Empire as a franchise and at one point Ray Muzyka all but confirmed that the game is indeed in development for the Xbox 360:BioWare definitely plans to continue the Jade Empire franchise - the Jade team did a great job with the first game in that series; we have great teams working on all of our games here. We've also said in the past that we're working on not just one, but two Xbox360 titles. Enough said ;)Jade Empire has its issues (the combat and linearity in the last three chapters being the main ones), but I'm sure that the team learned its lesson. Let's not forget that Jade Empire was BioWare's first attempt at a real-time combat system. I pretty much loved everything else about the game and wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.
I'm not sure yet. I can't wait to see what BioWare does without the binds of a license on this generation's hardware. Jade Empire proved that maybe they were better off using a license with the KOTOR games than they were making original games, but we'll have to see with Mass Effect. If it's totally cool, I'd rather see new franchises than continued ones from last generation.
  • acne
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment